Monday, March 03, 2008

Young Frankenstein - the musical

Last Saturday matinee Michael got Mr. Adam & I tickets to see this year's talk of Broadway... Young Frankenstein . I know, I know, you're all thinking "Ryan Charisma, I thought tickets were crazy priced over $300/ticket!" Yes, yes that is true. But the prices as of last week have been moved down (and I use the term down loosely).
OK, so first off, I love the original Mel Brooks' movie. That being said, this show follows it perfectly. Well, except for the dumb Dracula ending, but that's a dumb sight gag that doesn't belong anyway. So what do you get for your hard earned dollars in this production? Well, I'll tell you. Not much. The sets were fabulous, really they were. The costumes were fun, but nothing earth shattering. The performances were great, I'm a huge Sutton Foster fan anyway. I adore Megan Mullally, who is not used enough in this show. Dr. Frankenstein is played by Roger Bart, he's OK. I didn't love his performance, but I didn't hate it either. I guess, all in all, he brought nothing to the show, yet he didn't detract from it either. Not a compliment for "lead character" but I didn't cast him.
Overall, I would say, this show is not a must see. Of course, anyone who has read any review of this show knows it's certainly not worth the ticket price. But I can't help wonder, why with all that talent on stage why the show isn't better? Why? Apparently, this show was supposed to have the huge success that "The Producers" had on Broadway. Not this time Mr. Brooks, not this time.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home