Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Life of Pi


Everyone, I must share this book with all of you. I LOVED this book. It was so very good. The protagonist Piscine Molitor Patel (Pi) is a 15 year old boy, who in an attempt "to just love God," finds himself practicing 3 religions. He's a Muslim, Catholic & Hindu. Through his stream of consciousness we find him finding God in everything and applying it to his life. Particularly his life growing up in a zoo as his father is the Head Zookeeper in one of India's largest zoos. As the story progresses we find Pi and his family moving to Canada with some of the animals from the zoo on a cargo ship. The ship sinks killing Pi's entire family, the ship's crew & most of the animals. Through a strange series of events Pi finds himself on a lifeboat along with a tiger, hyena, orangutan & an injured zebra. The book takes on it's own life once the cargo ship sinks and what a great story. Pi uses his intellect and common sense to stay alive fighting both the elements upon the Pacific Ocean as well as the wild animals that ended up on the lifeboat with him. I can't urge all of you enough to pick up this book. It's an easy, quick read. The type of book you gobble up. Once again, run, don't walk and read this. I'm still thinking about it. What a good story.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary Wood said...

Talked me into it. I'll give it a read.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - such a great book! One of my favorites. A great idea for a story.

Was sad when it was done - I love when books make me feel that way.

6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home