Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Notes On A Scandal

Mr. Adam took me to see this movie last Saturday night. Was it good? Yes. Would I recommend it? No. I found the story written VERY well. I found the directing and the acting superb - but sadly, the ending was as predictable as K-Fed & Britney's divorce. I felt with all this talent zooming around on screen the least they could have done was write a proper ending. Ultimately, the underlying, rarely spoken lesbian theme was unnerving. Why do gays always have to be portrayed as manipulative psychos? Now I know lesbians are a little freaky, but I don't make them out to be psychotic just because of a little patchouli and comfortable shoes. This movie pulls you in (although we broke my NO MOVIES AFTER 10PM RULE) and you really go along for the ride until the very end where I sat astounded that the bile that was regurgitated up at me and labeled the ending. I'd hate to say this especially since I adore the two leads, but wait for this on DVD - it will be just as good. And you won't feel ripped off by Hollywood making the gays crazy or feeding you an ending you've seen 1,000 times already.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Boo on them! I was looking forward to seeing this, maybe for $4 matinee?

4:18 PM  
Blogger Gay Canuck in the Capital said...

Now tell us how you REALLY feel. Quelle surprise, I am going to disagree. The ending had to happen that way, it would have felt unreal if ended any other way. And it adds to the suspense, she preys again... I am conflicted about the fucked up lesbian thing (shades of Sharon Stone), would we bitch if straight people were in these roles that they are type-cast? No? And I think it is fair to say that a 65 year old lesbian may well be totally in the closet and have a pretty fucked up view of relationships. Anyhoo, I will get off my soap box. But man was the boy (18 year old) Andrew Simpson hotter than hot!!

10:34 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

A bad ending can ruin a movie for me. I really wanted to see this one too. It's not playing Charleston right now though.

I'll probably see it anyways, can't resist Judy Dench and Cate Blanchett.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home