Tuesday, November 25, 2008

World War Z

I've read another book. I chose World War Z as my Halloween "scary" read. Well, for the second year in a row, I chose badly. This book wasn't scary really. The author, Max Brooks did an interesting job with this book. He wrote it as a series of interviews 'after the fact'. The war has ended, millions of people dead, millions more have been re-animated into Zombies. The post interviews range from typically families to military personnel. The entire world was affected by the attack of the Zombies. Countries failed by reacting to the attacks with military force. And of course, the more men they lost, the more men the Zombies got. You can't kill the dead. Hell, I figured that out. I would think someone who enjoys historical war books would like this piece of fiction. It really is almost believable. I just don't feel I got the scary bang for my buck. "Should I read this ryan charisma?" Well honestly, if war & history are your thing, sure. But otherwise, this book is only mediocre.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Joey said...

Sorry to read your review, because I had this on my list of books to read. (Anyway, did you know Max Brooks is the son of the comedian Mel ?)

3:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

World War Z is a great book in that it's not really talking about zombies. It's really a book about humans, with zombies as the vehicle to tell the tale as good sci-fi should.

The first part of the book is how human failings exacerbates the zombie plague, and how good human characteristics are the reason we eventually win the war against the z.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Joey said...

I spoke to someone else who told me he really enjoyed the book, and yet another who said he didn't. So with all of you I guess I've got to conclude "this book got mixed reviews" before I read it myself.

8:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home