Monday, January 29, 2007

DREAMGIRLS - the movie


Well, I'm no longer a disgrace to my gay brethren. Mr. Adam took me to see Dreamgirls at the Ziegfeld Theater here in NYC last Saturday. First off, I'll make this short as everyone in the land of gaydom has reviewed this and there really isn't much more to say. I LOVED it. It really was great. My friend Kenn has a blog dedicated to this movie. It's called: Reflections or Deja Vu?
I want everyone to sit down now, because I have something to say and it's not going to be pretty. Beyonce. Yes, you read right ... Beyonce. She was for all intensive purposes ....beautiful but only eh. Her song "LISTEN" - absolutely the worst song in the movie. This song was obviously added to make sure Beyonce got the "star treatment" her agent demanded. It was bad, it was crappy and if it weren't for the fact that she was so beautiful I would have vomited at the sacrilege it made of this part of the story. It didn't belong. I no more believed that Dina was victim of circumstance and her own good looks than I believe in the Easter Bunny. Dina, was committing adultery with Curtis, let us not forget that to begin with. Adultery with the boyfriend of a member of her own singing group. That doesn't sound innocent to me. Makes me wonder about "Ms. Ross' " virtue as well. The song that deserves the Oscar nod is "Patience" sung by the soon to be Academy Award Winner - Eddie Murphy. It was a great song, with a great message and wonderful throwback to the Marvin Gaye style. Beyonce - puhleasssse - go back to Jay-Z and stick to being a hoochi momma. It's what your good at.

Now I know the truth about the Supremes and Diana and I'm not forgiving.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger KJC said...

Mr. Charisma...

Lets not forget that Dreamgirls was merely inspired by the story of Diana Ross and the Supremes not based on it. Trust me, you do not want Miss Ross to get upset.

xo

1:43 PM  
Blogger d-town said...

In jail they do not call her Miss Ross, they call her inmate number 54899B, owwww!!!!

actually, i never got the impression that deena and curtis were actually doing it while he and effie were together. it was more like they got together once effie was out of the picture. effie was just paranoid at the time.

of course, that part isn't clear in the movie - probably on purpose - so viewers can draw their own conclusions.

i liked "listen" but all of the 60's and 70's inspired songs were certainly better. they're the ones that have gotten serious rotation on the ipod.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

The Zeigfeld was definitely the right place to see it, eh?

I agree with your Beyonce comments... She was no Sheryl Lee Ralph (who played it on Bway)...

Every man has his own special dream....

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home