Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Grey Gardens

Oh my God! I'm still having post-show excitement. Mr. Adam took me to see Grey Gardens last night (Tuesday, January 9, 2007). It was (in a word) amazing. I've seen alot of theater and alot of films but I have to say. OUTSTANDING. This show, based on Jackie Kennedy's aunt Edith Bouvier Beale and her adult daughter "Little Edie" lives. First off, I have to express how phinominal Christine Ebersole is in this production. Her performance will go down in history with Michael Crawford's Phantom, Betty Buckly's Grizabella & Glenn Close's Norma Desmond. She's that amazing! If you have tickets, I envy you; if you don't have tickets, I pity you.

Act 1 opens on the eve of Edith's daughter's engagement party to handsome, young Joe Kennedy. We learn through innuendo, spoken and unspoken coversation about the relationships, expectaions & disappointments that form the wealthy household we're viewing. I don't want to give away too much of the story but through a series of events the engagement doesn't happen. Then Act 2 is 30 years later and the mother and daughter are living in the same 28 room home (Grey Gardens) only in dissaray with a herd of cats. Little "Edie" as gone off the deep end and mother Edith is holding her daughter an emotional hostage.
A brilliant, (did I say brilliant?) performance by Ms. Ebersol. A must see for anyone who can appreciate fine stagework. Oh, and Jerry likes my corn!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Yeah, I should see this....

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home