Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Shadow of the Wind

Wow, I have to tell everyone that I've finished this novel and it was quite the adventure. This book The Shadow of the Wind, written by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, was absolutely captivating. I was recommended to read this book by my friend Christine (who is probably having a baby right now).It was about mystery, war, murder, love & family. I really, really enjoyed it. Now before you all run out and get this I want to forewarn all of you that this is a novel. It's not a quick read on an airplane and such, but the commitment is totally worth it.
The story (originally written in Spanish) is about a boy, Daniel, who gets a hold of a book called The Shadow of the Wind. This book opens up the Daniel's life. Not only did he love the book itself, but there was a long mystery involving the author, Julián Carax and his whereabouts, life and loves. The story takes place in Franco, Spain and spans approximately a decade of Daniel's life.
I have to admit, this book wasn't a light read, it used many Spanish street names as well as character names. This book contained mystery, horror, joy & adventure. A happy ending? Well, yes & no. But then again, isn't that what life is about? A good read.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I should read more.

I really should.

Really.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Sounds good, thanks! I think it will do nicely on that 16 hour flight ot Tel Aviv :)

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home