Thursday, December 08, 2011

STICK FLY

Michael Marie took me to see this new play on Broadway. Stick Fly. Before we go any further, let me say I did like it. It was a long, LONG show but I have to say after about two weeks of reflection - I liked it. I did. Why? What do you mean ryan charisma? Well... let's go:

The show is about a extremely well-to-do black family who owns a summer home in Martha's Vineyard, MA. This is the setting and the house (which is the set) is beautiful - really well done. The acting was at times, and I won't name names, a little "overdone". I almost had the feeling that the cast was rushing the show because it's so long. The story is about the family meeting up at this 2nd home for a summer weekend get together. As they arrive we meet the characters, couples, maids and the parents. The basic topic of the play is the continuation of prejudice on a socio-economic level. It's very blatant talked about and at times makes for an uncomfortable moment in the play. As an audience member I was stunned. Which, to me, is exactly what art should do. Make us think. Make us uncomfortable. This social commentary was exemplified through the various relationships, old & new in the show. Make no mistake, this show is very good, but it's not at the level of August Osage County. I could draw the similarities of the two plays, other than the actual story line. But other than the length of the show, it pales in comparison.

I have to say, if you can find inexpensive tickets you should go. But it's not quite worth the full $120/ticket price for a Broadway show.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home