Friday, May 13, 2011

Lucky Guy

Last week my friend Michael Marie took Mr. Adam & I to go see Lucky Guy. I was so happy, as I thought this was going to be the new "When Pigs Fly". Boy was I wrong, really, really, REALLY wrong. Let me just get this out before we go any further:

DO NOT SEE THIS SHOW EVEN IF YOU HAVE FREE TICKETS!

Let me begin. The show itself is a story about a song "Lucky Guy" that was won in a songwriting contest to save a failing recording studio. This show runs a complete 2.5 hours (including intermission). I honestly believe that it should have cut about 6-7 songs and been presented in the new 90 minute format. That would have made it bearable. It's costumes & set were absolutely ok. I've seen better in regional / college productions, but the didn't suck. As for Varla Jean Merman, I love her and she was great in the show. But I would have one small director's question. Why didn't the Varla's character have a southern accent as the rest of the cast did? Why? She was supposed to be a country superstar. Anyway, then there is Leslie Jordan. Let me preface this with how much I adore Leslie Jordan. I think the world of his comedy on television. However, he is a common case of a screen actor attempting to do stage. It didn't work. I could swear he didn't know his lines in the first half of the show. So bad. So very, very bad. Then the lead male, Kyle Dean Massey (and my two companions agree) had the look of "I can't believe I went from Next To Normal to this!" on his face during the show. It was 2.5 hours I'll never get back. Should you see it? Hell no! So sad, and if you do go - I WARNED YOU. Not even Varla could save this one.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Brettcajun said...

Varla Jean is an LSU graduate. :) I have seen many of her shows.

1:01 PM  
Blogger hapi said...

Hi ryan charisma, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home