Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Drowsy Chaperone

Sam & Manny, Mr. Adam & I went to go see this musical in a comedy last night. Oh, I adored it. 90 minutes - no intermission - chock full of talent. From the minute the lights went down, the audience is treated to a unique, fresh take on Broadway theater at it's best. In the spirit of not ruining it for you I'll only give a brief outline of the show.
We (the audience) meet a Man in Chair played by Bob Martin, our narrator. No, he has no name. The play is set in present day in his average NYC apartment. He has some of the best monologue material I have heard in a long, long time. In this monologue he invites us to listen to his favorite musical from the 1920's - "The Drowsy Chaperone". He puts the original cast recording - double album (does anyone still remember albums?) on his turntable and begins to relate to us the story. His enthusiasm telling this story throughout the entire show is wonderful. As the we listen to the cast album, it comes to life in his living room before us. A sugar-coated, piece of 1920's show that was built around the stars of yesterday ensued. And ensued hysterically I must add. As this story is told the narrator, unseen by the actors "on the album", starts/stops and jumps into scenes & numbers. At times, I thought I would laugh so hard my sides would split. The show is chock full of great talent. I won't go into each performer because they all were great and I couldn't pick one over another. See the ensemble cast, and see what real musical theater is all about. I urge you to go see this show. Although now that it's nominated for so many Tony Awards, I hope you can get tickets.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Sounds great, definitely unique! I'll check it out on my next visit.

9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just back from seeing it and it is just wonderful and anyone who has seen it has said the same. I would call it the perfect "bridge" musical - a new creative prototype to connect the musicals of old to the potential of today...

Liked your reivew and will link in it in my post (this week).

Cheers from MotherPie.

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home