Thursday, April 17, 2008

Cry Baby

Last night Michael took me to see Cry Baby. I went knowing that this show is the shame of Broadway right now. It was supposed to be SO bad, that it's good. As in the Carrie the Musical sort of way. So we went ready to be completely entertained. Let me tell ya'll:
First off, the show didn't completely suck. It had some really great numbers, some funny dialogue and some great performances. Let's start with the good. The men in the show are HOT. I found all of them wonderfully sexy and costumed great. Harriet Harris was really fun in the show. I always like her. Another stand out performance was by Christopher J. Hank, he really, really was great as Baldwin the square. Ok, now here's da shit:
1) The sets were OK, nothing spectacular. I've seen better in regional & college productions.
2) The lighting was less than ok, it sufficed. Really nothing groundbreaking nor clever.
3) The lead 'Cry-Baby' played by James Snyder was, at best, mediocre. His voice was weak, his acting was ok, his hair was dry and should have been all oiled up. And no I'm not being picky. I will say that he danced well.
4) Mrs. Vernon-Williams number "I did something wrong once" needs to be cut in half or taken out alltogether. Yes it's clever, but really, the show is long enough and the song doesn't do anything for the story line that two lines of dialogue couldn't fix.
The show was a 50's based show about good v. evil and who really is good, and who really is evil. Gee sounds like the theme from Wicked...
Anyway, bottom line is, if the producers of this show want a hit, they need to find Cheyanne Jackson immediately and pay him tons of money to leave Xanadu. Really, Mr. Snyder is just not good enough to carry the show. He doesn't have the presence that makes you want to watch him. He's not bad, he's just not stellar. Cheyenne where are you? Can you save another show?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'm from Baltimore, and a huge fan of John Waters. I've heard such dreadful things about this show, too!

I'm also a huge Cheyenne fan...

... You just MIGHT be onto something!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

Hey, did you see the Ben Brantley review in today's NYTimes?? (April 25, 2008) He pretty much panned it.

Imagine this as an advertising banner...

"a show that is terminally flat" -- Ben Brantley, The New York Times

If I were a producer, I would cry, Baby!

4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home