Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A Single Man

Last weekend Mikey from Jersey, Mr. Adam & I went to go see A Single Man by Tom Ford. The movie starred Colin Firth. I have to say that this movie had me mixed up. I felt that Mr. Ford captured the late 60's, early 70's perfectly right up to the faux period cinematography. But I felt that this art house film was exceedingly "art house". I almost felt as though this was a really, really good directing student's film. But a student film none-the-less. It mirrored so many other art house films that I've seen in terms of sound, color & editing that I was torn.
Yes, I liked this film. I found the story almost unbearable. It's about a man, whose lover of 16 years dies suddenly in a car crash, and his organizing his life and matters so that he can commit suicide. Heartbreaking, heart wrenching. A very good movie with a very difficult subject matter. Should you see it? Hell yes, and let me know if you think the art house stuff was laid on a little thick? kisses, you know Momma loves you!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Todd HellsKitchen said...

I would need to be in the right mood to see this movie... And I am not in the right mood... But thanks for the review... I enjoyed Tom Ford's interview on Charlie Rose about this film... I thought the whole project sniffed of "Art House"... So I have no doubt that you are spot on...

6:04 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ryan - agree on the art house factor. But thought the shooting was lovely and Colin Firth was amazing.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home