Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Catcher In The Rye

It's that time! Time for me to tell you about another book I've just finished. This time I read a book that somehow I didn't end up reading while going through high school - The Catcher in the Rye. First off, I must tell you, that I'm glad I missed this book while I was a teen. I thought this book sucked. It was so adequately written, I fail to see why this book was considered a classic or banned by some schools. Sure the language is bad, but the book doesn't do anything. It says nothing. It starts nowhere and ends up nowhere.
The main character Holden Caufield is a young teen who (for lack of a better word) needs a good smack upside the head. He's kicked out of 'another' school for not trying. He takes all his money and blows it on a few days in NYC before going home to his folks to face the music of his being expelled yet again. Personally, this kid needed a good old fashioned beating. I volunteer my mother. I found the main character quite the opinionated asshole. I hated every other thought that he had. And he swore far too much for my tastes. Not to mention that I cuss like a truck driver in real life. So I'm no prude at all. I really, really detested this Holden character. If he were my kid, I'd abort any other kids that follow for fear they'd end up like this over privledged maggot in the book. Apparently this book is for 'angry white boys'. I don't get it. I was never one of those 'angry white boys' in school. They suck and deserve to have the fear of God put into them too. J.D Salinger sucks! Don't read this shitty book, it will only aggravate you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kevin said...

I wrote a book report on this book in high school and got an A on it. I wonder what I would have gotten if I had read the book.

4:12 PM  
Blogger The [Cherry] Ride said...

I'm trying to understand exactly what you hated about the book -- because you didn't like the main character? Because it didn't, as you say, go anywhere? Because he was an "angry white boy" you feel that the book is written for angry white boys?

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home