Thursday, August 07, 2008

Boycott Beijing 08

I don't care if this makes me unpopular, I simply don't. I refuse to watch anything Olympic for the entire run of the games. I refuse to purchase anything by any Olympic sponsor. I will not read any article that has to do with any Olympic themes, including athletes.
I will walk out of any room that has the Olympics on. I will not stay and give a country with so many human rights violations anything that resembles my respect or attention.
So ask me what I think of Michael Phelps' winnings? I'll say "I'm boycotting the Olympics." Ask me what I thought of the opening ceremony? I'll say "I'm boycotting the Olympics." So too bad for these shallow, yes I said it, shallow athletes who (boo hoo) this is the only time they'll get to compete on this level. "Fuck you!" - MOST people don't get to compete on that level. And MOST people don't get millions of dollars to be on the cover of Wheaties. Again, FUCK YOU athletes with no moral fiber. Sadly the ones that did speak out, were the ones not allowed into the country. hmmmm. Go figure. But you, sad, pathetic group of athletes put aside the human condition so you can bask in a faux glory that may be deserved, but was brought about on the backs of a horrible government ruining it's own country's humanity. "Yeah, good for you. I'm so proud you won a fucking medal on the balance beam while some one's mother/father/son/daughter is being imprisoned and beaten...or worse." Your priorities are perfectly American, good for you.
Now am I saying my country is so wonderful, hell no. For starters why the hell didn't our government say no to this? I would have supported America not participating. Hell, I DO support America not participating. But I'll be damned if our dim-wit President goes over there to actually watch the games! Can you really believe that? What other President of the United States has ever had enough time to go over and observe the Olympics? I'll tell you....NONE! Fucking lame ass Bush.
Shame on our government, shame on our athletes and shame on you!
I'm boycotting the Olympics.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Ryan, you are really going to have to work on formulating an opinion :) I'm with you on not supporting China's ongoing (and seriously bad) human right violations; I try really hard not to buy anything made in China (nearly impossible).

The Olympics? Well, it seems a good stage for carrying out that message but in the end I think it will fall on deaf ears.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Charles said...

Ryan I hear you but your boycott is a matter of comfort and convenience for you because if you are truly passionate you would not buy things made in China. You get to be a loud mouth in a room where people are enjoying the Olympics and you get to be that passionate and reasonable voice. Right?

Your reaction is more knee-jerk and does not have a strong point to it. Sure you boycott the Olympics big deal, there is no impact if you do not read, watch or talk about it to anyone it still goes on and China is embraced economically and socially even stronger.

We as Americans are not ready (and will not) to disavow China from our lives, we receive cheap products that allow us to spend more and keep more money for ourselves. Ryan, you benefit from this as well and your life is built around it. You cry foul on the athletes but what about yourself, where else are these athletes to showcase their amazing talents. This is the same idea as to where else can you purchase items that are in your home seriously take a look around and determine the answer. Yes, you could go elsewhere but are you going to pay twice as much for it in order to make your stance against China, I seriously doubt it.

Pssst: The answer at the moment China.

BTW: it was President Clinton who expanded exponentially trade with China (1993) practically giving the complete and total domination to our market; gone was Mexico, Taiwan and Germany.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Homophobic murder-music Straight Pride reggae march still on for Brooklyn, Aug. 31. If you're that passionate about human rights I'm sure you'll be right there protesting murderous Jamaican homophobia now arriving in NYC.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quite a number of logical inconsistencies in your post. I wonder what has more effect on China: the fact that you're not watching the Today show for a week, or the fact that you're unwilling to buy any products made in China. Because I'm sure you do the latter, too. Right?

9:56 PM  
Blogger Brettcajun said...

I didn't think I was going to watch the Olympics either because it was just more media hooplah about sports and we have so many sports nowadays anyway. But, I have been intrigued by seeing a few sports that I had never heard of. Like men's synchronized swimming. It was SO GAY that it actually entertained me.

11:17 AM  
Blogger Queers United said...

im also boycotting, but phelps is hot lol

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home