Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Jesus Christ Super Star

Last Saturday Michael Marie got Mr. Adam & I tickets to see Jesus Christ Super Star on Broadway.  Lucky we saw it as it closes on July 1, 2012.  How was it?

I liked it.  The show was very presentational.  It was handled like a concert.  I have to say the men in the show were excellent, well except Jesus himself.  I found him distant particularly in the opening of the show.  As the show went on Jesus became more present. His voice was great.  I really liked Judas.  But I have to say Mary Magdalene was bad, girl couldn't act.   No, no she couldn't.  And her singing - meh.  There was also a weird Jesus/Judas/Mary threesome thing inferred.  I've seen it before, but it was so subtle that it seemed like decision half-made.  If I really wanted to pick apart a number it would be Herod's number.  It wasn't great, it didn't suck, but it wasn't the show stopper it could have been.  Overall, I think show failed by bringing the entire LA cast to New York.  Lot's of great voices, very little stage presence.  Should you see it?  YOU CAN'T - it's closing.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home